There are different reasons for different kids.
- Some are drawn by parties, girls and drugs.
- Some are looking for respect and power.
- Some find a feeling of caring and attention in a gang. It becomes almost a family to them.
- Some want to make money—to help out at home or to have nice clothes, etc. ...
- Some join for self-protection because they are picked on by other gang members.
- Some grow up in a neighborhood where it is almost a way of life.
- Most have some real or imagined problem at home that makes them prefer the streets.
- Some gang members are addicted to drugs. The problems at home can become worse because parents don't know how to cope with their addiction.