Consumer Resources

Consumer Complaints: General Resources

Industries & Professions Regulated by Colorado--Complaints
Colorado Department of Regulatory Agencies (DORA)

Resources for Industries & Services NOT Regulated by Colorado--Complaints

Colorado Attorney General
Consumer Protection Unit: 800-222-4444

The Colorado Attorney General’s Office maintains an extensive consumer resource guide, including where and how to file consumer complaints, on a variety of topics at

Report Scams & Frauds
U.S. Government

Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB)

Handles financial services complaints, protecting consumers from unfair, deceptive, or abusive practices and takes action against companies that break the law; helps consumers connect with financial companies to get direct responses about problems with mortgages, student loans, payday loans, debt collection, credit reports, and other financial products and services. Also creates tools, answer common questions, and provide tips that help consumers navigate their financial choices and shop for the deal that works best for them.

Consumer Finance FAQs

To file a problem or complaint about a financial product or service

Federal Trade Commission (FTC)

Complaints about ID theft; scams & rip offs; unwanted telemarketing, text or spam; internet services, online shopping or computers; education; jobs; making money; credit & debt plans & services; autos: finance, rent, lease, title loans, parts & services, advertising; satellite and cable tv providers; magazine subscriptions; grants or scholarships; health & fitness products, plans & services; charitable solicitations; travel, vacation or timeshares; fraudulent immigration or tax services, including green card lotteries and notaries, or other unfair business practices may be submitted to

National Consumers League—Complaints & Information

Better Business Bureau

Internet Fraud/Scams

FBI Internet Crime Complaint Center
Report instances of Internet-based fraud to the FBI at

U.S. Government Information

Additional General Consumer Information Resources

Consumer Action Handbook, Consumer Protection Handbook, and other consumer protection federal publications:

Federal Citizen Information Center, Pueblo

Consumer Information Catalogue
1-888-8 PUEBLO
Or order on line at:

Senior Law Handbook
Colorado Bar Association
View the handbook online, or order your own copy at:

Consumer Complaints & Resources - Specific Topics

Accountant Registration & Complaints
Colorado State Board of Accountancy

Attorney Registration & Complaints
Attorney Regulation Counsel—Colorado Supreme Court

Automobile Dealers/Colorado Lemon Law
Colorado Department of Revenue
303-205-5604 or 5476

Auto Insurance Issues
Colorado Division of Insurance

Auto Warranty Issues
For alternative dispute resolution of auto warranty disputes:
Better Business Bureau

Business Reliability Reports
To check on a business, contact:

Colorado Secretary of State
303-894-2200, press 2

Better Business Bureau

Charity Reliability Reports
To check on a charity, contact:

Colorado Secretary of State
303-894-2200, press 2

Internal Revenue Service

Better Business Bureau

National Charities

Collection Agency Complaints
Colorado Attorney General’s Office

Credit Card Offers Opt Out Program
To stop credit card companies from sending you pre-approved and unsolicited applications

Credit Reporting Agencies 
If you dispute credit report information, credit bureaus must resolve your dispute within 30 days and send you written notice of the results of the investigation, including a copy of the credit report, if it has changed.

Request a free copy of your credit report once a year from each of the three credit reporting agencies (Social Security number will be required to obtain these reports).  There are many websites that promise free credit reports.  However, the best, truly free site is, 877-322-8228.

Or mail a copy of the Annual Credit Request Form (found at to:
Annual Credit Report Request Service
P.O. Box 105281
Atlanta, GA 30348-5281

You may also directly contact each of the major consumer reporting agencies below to request a free annual copy of your credit report.

P.O. Box 105788, Atlanta, GA 30348

P.O. Box 9554, Allen, TX 75013

Trans Union
P.O. Box 2000, Chester, PA 19016

Credit Reporting Complaints
Federal Trade Commission

District Attorneys/Denver Metro Area—Consumer Complaints 
Adams/Broomfield County, 17th Judicial District
Consumer Info line: 303-835-5633

Arapahoe/ Douglas/ Elbert/ Lincoln County, 18th Judicial District          
Fraud Assistance Line: 720-874-8547

Boulder County, 20th Judicial District      
Consumer Protection Division: 303-441-3700

Jefferson/Gilpin County, 1st Judicial District  
Fraud Hotline: 303-271-6800
Economic Crime Unit: 303-271-6931

Homeowner Insurance Issues
Colorado Division of Insurance

Insurance Provider Verification & Complaints
To verify that an insurance policy and/or agent is approved for sale in Colorado, or to register complaints against an agent:
Colorado Division of Insurance:

Investment/Securities Brokers & Offers 

To check investment offers, brokers and companies:

Colorado Division of Securities

U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC)
(Regulates public offerings of securities)

Check out Brokers

Seniors:  Protect Yourself Against Investment Fraud Handbook
U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission
To order: 1-800-732-0330

Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA)
(Regulates stock brokers)

Broker/Advisor/Firm Check

IRS—Tax/Identity Fraud
To verify the authenticity of an IRS notice: 800-829-1040

If you suspect that someone is using your Social Security number and personal identification to fraudulently file a tax return, or to report tax fraud, call the IRS Fraud Hotline: 800-829-0433

To report IRS-related phishing and online scams, call the IRS Fraud Hotline: 800-829-0433

If identity theft has caused problems with the IRS
IRS Identity Protection Specialized Unit:  800-908-4490

Junk Mail/Email/Phone Calls
Data & Marketing Association
To opt out of receiving junk mail commercial mailings, telemarketing, and e-mails, go to:

Landlord-Tenant Disputes

The Colorado Attorney General’s Office advises, “While Colorado law regulates the return of security deposits and requires the return of security deposits within one month after the lease has been terminated in absence of cause or unless specified in the lease, most landlord/tenant issues involve private contractual disputes.”

For assistance in resolving a landlord/tenant dispute:

Colorado Housing Connects Hotline

Colorado Legal Services/Legal Aid (low income) (civil)

Legal Assistance

Colorado Bar Association—Referrals (civil & criminal)

Colorado Public Defender’s Office—Denver (criminal)

Colorado Legal Services/Legal Aid (low income) (civil)

Pro Se Resource Center—Denver County Court (civil)
Room 280 A, Denver City & County Building

Rocky Mountain Victim Law Center
Provides free legal assistance to victims of violent crime to help enforce their rights under the Victims’ Rights Act

LINC (Legal Information Network of Colorado)
Provides confidential, no-cost legal information for victims of crime in the Denver Metro area.
720-583-2929 (Help Line)

Disability Law Colorado-Denver Office (civil)
303-722-0300 or 1-800-288-1376

University of Denver Student Law Office (misdemeanor offenses only)

Lending Complaints  

Colorado Attorney General’s Office

Federal Trade Commission (FTC)

Mail Fraud
U.S. Postal Inspectors Service (USPIS)

Mortgage & Foreclosure Complaints
Colorado Foreclosure Hotline

Moving & Storage Company Complaints

Colorado Public Utilities Commission (operating within Colorado only)
303-894-2000 or 800-456-0858

U.S. Department of Transportation
Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration

No Call Lists

Colorado No Call List—Register Phone Numbers
800-309-7041  (click on "Complaints”)

National Do Not Call List—Register Phone Numbers/File Complaints

Nursing Home/Long-term Care Resident Abuse 
People living in nursing homes and assisted living facilities need support, protection and advocacy.  The DRCOG Area Agency on Aging (AAA) Long-Term Care Ombudsman Program is designed to protect the health, safety, welfare and rights of residents living in assisted living residences and nursing homes. It is a federally mandated free advocacy service.  For more information about Colorado’s ombudsman program, go to

Contact the Denver area Ombudsman at 303-455-1000.

See also Disability Law Colorado/Ombudsman at

Social Security Fraud
For general assistance and questions, call:

To report lost or stolen Social Security numbers and Social Security fraud:

Telemarketing Complaints--Federal

Federal Trade Commission (FTC)

Federal Communications Commission (FCC)
Telecom (phone, tv, internet, email) billing or service issues

Utilities:  Electric, Natural Gas, Landline Telephone, Water, Steam, Transportation Services

If unable to resolve a utility complaint with the local service provider, contact the Colorado Public Utilities Commission call 303-894-2070 or

Wage Claims
Colorado Department of Labor & Employment

Find My Courtroom or Case